CHQ Chairman Richard Viguerie’s mantra to limited government constitutional conservatives “It’s the primaries, stupid” has long been shared by a few of the Right’s most incisive commentators, especially RedState’s Daniel Horowitz and author and talk radio heavyweight Mark Levin.
Daniel Horowitz had an especially good column yesterday that put numbers on how limited government constitutional conservatives are being betrayed by Speaker John Boehner, Majority Leader Eric Cantor, Republican Whip Kevin McCarthy and the other establishment Republican “leaders” of the House of Representatives.
In his article “House Leaders Pass Another Bill With Democrat Support” (that also included a great Twitter hashtag #PrimariesMatter), Horowitz notes nine significant bills that the House Republican “leadership” has brought to the Floor with majority Democrat support:
1. This week’s vote reauthorizing the Overseas Private Investment Corporation, a corporate welfare bank to subsidize foreign investment. 106 Republicans voted for it while 116 voted against it.
2. “Fiscal Cliff” tax hikes and stimulus pork (HR 8 1/1/13)- This was the McConnell-Biden tax hike coupled $230 billion in new stimulus spending, including $40 billion in green energy pork. It passed with only 85 Republican votes.
3. Sandy Pork Bill (HR 152, 1/15/13) – This bill contained $60 billion in extraneous pork spending, of which the majority would be appropriated long after the recovery from the Hurricane is over. It passed with just 38 Republican votes.
4. “Violence Against Women Act" (S. 47,. 2/28/13) – This was the Senate version of VAWA that dramatically expanded the unconstitutional program to include a number of social engineering provisions and violations of due process. It passed with only 87 GOP votes.
5. Battlefield preservation pork (HR 1033 4/9/13) – This was a random Democrat suspension bill to give money to states for the purpose of buying up more land. It passed with less than half of Republican members.
6. October CR Funding Obamacare and Raising Debt Ceiling RC#550, (10/16/13) – Passed with only 87 Republicans supporting it.
7. February 2014 Debt ceiling increase RC# 61 (2/11/14) - Passed under suspension with just 29 GOP votes
8. Doc Fix extension with phony spending offsets (3/28/14). Passed by voice vote despite conservative opposition.
9. Obamacare pre-existing conditions program (HR 1549 4/25/13) – to pump $4 billion into Obamacare’s federally managed and manipulated high-risk pool for those with pre-existing conditions. The bill was pulled from the floor at the last minute due to a mass conservative revolt within the House Republican Conference.
We should add, as Daniel Horowitz noted, that these end-runs around the majority position of the House Republican Conference were all supported and made possible by the House “leadership,” especially House Majority Leader Eric Cantor who has become openly contemptuous of the conservative views of the grassroots of the Republican Party.
For decades conservatives have had their political guns pointed at the wrong targets. Our main opponents are not Democrats such as Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, Bill and Hillary Clinton, Barak Obama. The people who are keeping limited-government, constitutional conservatives from governing America are big-government Republicans with names like Karl Rove, George Bush 41 and 43, John Boehner, Eric Cantor, Mitch McConnell and Lamar Alexander.
Conservatives are like the Biblical Jews who had to wander in the desert for 40 years until that generation of failed, flawed leaders had passed from the scene. Conservatives are not going to get to the political promised land until we replace this generation of failed, flawed, big-government Republicans with limited-government, constitutional conservatives.
As Richard Viguerie sets out in his new book TAKEOVER, the most important political battle in America is not between Republicans and Democrats. America’s most important political battle is for control of the Republican Party. Go here to get your copy of TAKEOVER and join the battle today.