Donald Trump

Outsiders vs. Insiders: Can Trump and the GOP fill America’s critical leadership vacuum?

It will be extremely difficult to keep all of the competing interests satisfied in the days to come. The parties are already returning to their pre-shooting divisions and the prospects for an Article V convention remain dim. Leadership is called for. Can Trump and the Republicans do the job?

Team Trump Cannot Fear the I-Word

Andrew C. McCarthy, National Review

This is a very straightforward argument. First, Trump may not be prosecuted for obstructing investigations because he did not act corruptly – he had the authority to take the actions he did; and these actions, even if one finds them inappropriate, were not unreasonable. Second, Trump may not be impeached because his actions, even if one finds them inappropriate, do not approach the abuse-of-power predicate for high crimes and misdemeanors.

Shakespeare for Dummies

Ron Maxwell, The American Spectator

In their mindless bloodthirsty revels at the Public Theater in Central Park, what critics and audiences are really saying is that John Wilkes Booth and Lee Harvey Oswald were right. If your anger is genuine, if your rage is justified, it’s more than OK to take the law into your own hands. It is, in fact, your duty. Try as they will, Central Park’s silly thespians will not succeed in shrinking the Bard to fit neatly into their own petty political box. He cannot be reduced to a bumper sticker for their anti-democratic “resistance.”

Outsiders vs. Insiders: Whether it takes two years or ten, Trump will break the ruling class

Two years in, the phenomenon that is President Donald Trump will continue to break new ground in American politics. Impeachment will never work and he simply will not quit – ever. Trump will battle the establishment to the death. If I were you I wouldn’t bet against him winning.

The Left's Flirtation With Trumpicide

George Neumayr, The American Spectator

The left’s radicals marched through the institutions, stayed long enough to booby-trap the exits, and now find themselves back where they started, out of power and clawing for a return to it. Sitting in Upper West Side cafes dreaming of revolution, they wait for the next analgesic thrill of seeing Julius Trump stabbed to death in Central Park and keep far from their minds that other park where another assassin came close to turning that fiction into fact.

Can You Obstruct a Fraud?

Andrew C. McCarthy, National Review

Comey and the FBI did not believe Trump had obstructed an investigation by lobbying on Flynn’s behalf. And just as patently, that’s because Trump did not do so: You cannot act corruptly – as the obstruction statute requires the government to prove beyond a reasonable doubt – if you do not believe what you are doing is against the law. Since Trump had as much authority as any prosecutor or FBI agent to weigh the merits of prosecuting Flynn, he cannot have acted corruptly in doing so.

Trump Immigration Order Took Another Hit: Now SCOTUS Must Get Involved

Hans von Spakovsky, CNS News

If the lower courts are uniformly getting it wrong and failing to follow the Supreme Court’s binding precedents on an issue, that is a more than sufficient reason to take up a case. In fact, the court has an obligation to do so in order to prevent chaos in the legal system resulting from lower courts refusing to follow the law. That is especially true when the judicial branch is interfering with the president’s prerogatives in the national security and immigration area.

Do Nothing Congress Creating Deadly Enthusiasm Gap For GOP

While President Trump holds a 47 percent approval rating, at 29 percent Speaker Paul Ryan's abysmal approval rating is beginning to drag down the whole GOP, and especially its establishment candidates.

Outsiders vs. Insiders: When it comes to hate speech the left owns all the talent in the world

Leftists don’t want a debate because they know they’d lose. The Declaration of Independence states our God-given inalienable rights include life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Liberals don’t want these things – they want thought-control, income redistribution and forced equality.

Adam Carolla and Dennis Prager Film to Expose Silliness of Safe Spaces and Snowflakes

“This is a story that must be told because the future of our country literally depends on what happens on these campuses,” said Dennis Prager. “If these students don’t understand the very concept of free speech, our whole nation is in trouble.”

Can a Divided America Survive?

Victor Davis Hanson, National Review

America barely survived the Civil War of 1861–65, the Great Depression of 1929–39, and the rioting and protests of the 1960s. But today’s growing divides are additionally supercharged by instant Internet and social-media communications, 24/7 cable news, partisan media, and the denigration of America’s past traditions. All Americans need to take a deep breath, step back, and rein in their anger — and find more ways to connect rather than divide themselves.

Trump and the End of the Beginning

Roger Kimball, PJ Media

Success has a way of blotting out or at least marginalizing criticism. As Trump forges ahead, quietly racking up victory after victory, the yapping chihuahuas are going to appear more and more absurd to the public.  Those pups are yapping, but as the old Arab mot puts it, the caravan is nevertheless traveling on. Forecast: 10% chance of crisis, 90% chance of sun.

Outsiders vs. Insiders: The left’s leaky earthen dam of hate is crumbling all around them

After this week’s events will the Democrats suddenly drop their obsession with Russia? Will the media start talking about issues and legislation rather than Trump’s latest tweets and quit branding Republicans as evil and greedy defenders of the rich? Don’t bet money on it.

Trump tries to lead on Obamacare

W. James Antle III, Washington Examiner

Trump is trying to go on the offense, pointing to rising health insurance premiums and insurers exiting the Obamacare exchanges as the enrollee population hasn't been young and healthy enough. He is also hoping Senate Republicans help him play defense, amending the healthcare bill to neutralize some of the top Democratic talking points against it.

Outsiders vs. Insiders: If President Trump should fall who will lift the flag and carry on?

There will come a point – and soon – where the so-called Republican #NeverTrump opposition needs to make a choice to get behind Trump or be cut loose from the conservative movement. Then it will truly come down to a “with us or against us” proposition.

Are We Nearing Civil War?

Patrick J. Buchanan, The American Conservative

If the president cannot rewrite Obamacare or achieve tax reform, he should not go around the country in 2018 wailing about Nancy Pelosi or Chuck Schumer. They are not the real adversaries. They are but interchangeable parts. He should campaign against the real enemies of America First by promising to purge the deep state and flog its media collaborators.

The Endless Ironies of Donald J. Trump

Victor Davis Hanson, National Review

Never have so many bright people proved so dense. Never have polls and politics proved so unreliable or partisan. Never have unintended consequences so replaced predictable results. Yes, we are in chaos, but we sense also that the pandemonium is purgative of the worse that prompted it — and it is unpleasant mostly because it has so long been overdue.

AG Sessions Before The Senate Intelligence Committee: It’s A Hearing About Nothing

Today’s hearing before the Senate Intelligence Committee featuring former Senator, now Attorney General, Jeff Sessions should be the last time the government of the United States allows itself to be manipulated into responding to the lies and provocations of James Comey.

Outsiders vs. Insiders: How the wisdom of Ben Franklin would solve GOP's cowardly dilemma

If grassroots conservatives aren’t worried about Comey, why should congressman and senators be concerned? The GOP agenda will rise or fall with the support of Republicans already in Congress. The party has rarely enjoyed such an opportunity…if they would only take it.